Tuesday 18 August 2009

Nemanja Matic (ulous)

It was almost a year ago when Sir Alex Ferguson vehemently declared that the Chelsea squad was too old to give his men a run for the title and he had a point! Despite the three young signings earlier in the summer, the Blues squad is still an aging one; take the starting 11 against Hull City on the opening day and you'll see what I mean.

The midfielders are all in or around the 30's: Lampard, Ballack, Deco, Malouda. The two big strikers Drogba and Anelka present a similar picture. But it is the midfield in particular which needs young legs and fresh-blood reinforcement.

And that is precisely what Chelsea have aimed at achieving with the signing of Serbian international Nemanja Matic. The official Chelsea website has confirmed today (August 18, 2009) that the 21-year old has signed a four-year contract with the club.

Admittedly, I had never heard of the youngster before. So I wondered what we can expect of him.

"I am a central-midfielder," Matic told the official Chelsea website. "And I know I am not well known but I have physical power and I am quite a technical, left-footed player."

Interesting, I thought. So I went ahead and searched for videos on the youngster. I found the following video on YouTube. Not the usual goal-fest, it does show that the boy has plenty of skill, technique, power, height and passing ability to offer. Find out for yourself!

Watch the video on YouTube!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I saw the same video earlier today and it was nice to see that Chelsea is investing into young talent. With starlets like Matic, Sturridge, Di Santo, Sinclair, Mancienne, and with younger players like Alex and Ivanovich, It is a good foundation to build on. But I sincerely recommend that Chelsea go for a couple of experienced young players like Van Der Vaart, Wesley Sneider, Sergio Aguero, and Frank Ribery. So that there is a continuity in quality as there is a big age gap between the current first team and the above mentioned young talent. So we need some excellent 20 somethings to bridge that gap, we must not pull an 'Arsenal'.

Post a Comment